[R-pkg-devel] Warning on r-oldrel-macos-x86_64

Berry Boessenkool berryboe@@enkoo| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Sun Oct 25 12:53:02 CET 2020

> Seems to be correct. In my code a data.frame is assigned with a column
> "foo" and _without_ stringsAsFactors = FALSE. Later a function is called
> which requires "foo" as character.
> The default stringsAsFactors was changed to FALSE in R4.0.0. Hence, my
> question: How "old" is the old releaseon CRAN's test machines/ macos?
> oldrel on windows is OK.

> An opinions of the list-members about a re-submission?

My 2 cents:
in the vignette, explicitely include stringsAsFactors=FALSE.
Yes, R 4 has that as the default, but I feel it will be years before >95% of users reading your vignette have R >4.
Anyone with an older version would not be able to directly copy the code.

As I said, just my thoughts.
Hoping not to provoke the discussion "but we need to encourage users to have a current R" as I did offline recently...

Regards,
Berry