[R-pkg-devel] Licenses

Thu Oct 22 21:47:13 CEST 2020

On 22/10/2020 12:56 p.m., Marc Schwartz wrote:

>>> Well....
>>> Now that I look at:
>>>    https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/licenses/license.db
>>> there are a few licenses listed there that do place restrictions on commercial use.
>>> These include some Creative Commons Non-Commercial use variants and the ACM license.
>>> Is the license DB file out of date, or is there an apparent conflict with the CRAN policy that I quoted above?
>>> Anyone with an ability to comment?
>>
>> Presumably CRAN would not accept the non-FOSS licenses that are listed in license.db, but R could still do computations on them, as described in ?library in the "Licenses" section.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>

> Duncan,
>
> That is a reasonable distinction.
>
> However, upon searching CRAN with available.packages(), I came up with a list of packages that do include Non-Commercial restrictions, including CC BY-NC* and ACM licenses. There may be others that I missed visually scanning the output.
>
> There also appear to be some conflicts/inconsistencies with the 'License_restricts_use' field entry and the 'License' field in some cases, where, for example, most that have "CC BY-NC-SA 4.0" as the license, have "NA" as the entry for restricted use, rather than "yes".
>
> I am not going to list them here, as I don't want to pick on any particular package, but this does seem to point to an inconsistency between packages that are hosted on CRAN and the articulated policy...

Perhaps those packages were accepted before this became a policy, and
now that others depend on them, it would be too disruptive to remove
them, and users are warned via the 'License_restricts_use' field entry.
Why does it sometimes contain errors?  That I don't know, other than
blaming it on Murphy's Law.