[R-pkg-devel] Usage of internet resources in examples

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 20 23:10:24 CEST 2020

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 10:07 PM Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/20 4:51 PM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 9:45 PM Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> >>     if (testthat::skip_on_cran())
> >>
> >> all seem like reasonable solutions.
> >
> > I don't think you can use `testthat::skip_on_cran()` for this, it does
> > not return a logical flag:
> >
> > ❯ isTRUE(testthat::skip_on_cran())
> > Error: Reason: On CRAN
> >
> > It only works in testthat tests.
> >
> > Gabor
> >
> > [...]
> >

>    oh OK, sorry.  The guts of the function are (in testthat:::on_cran(),
> which can't be used because it's not exported)
>
> !identical(Sys.getenv("NOT_CRAN"), "true")

It is not really worth exporting this, because it just checks for an
environment variable, that's all it does. So all users would need to
set this environment variable to be able to run the examples. Which
does not seem like a great solution.

G.