[R-pkg-devel] Procedure for the transfer or an R package maintainership

Al T @|@t @end|ng |rom d|@root@org
Sun Oct 11 16:20:01 CEST 2020

Dear R-devel-community!

The current maintainer of the 'nephro' R-package
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nephro/index.html), Cristian
Pattaro, asked me if I'm willing to take over this work.  I'm very
interested in stepping in but since I've never done something similar
before I'd like to ask for some advice.

I read on stackoverflow
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39223320/transferring-maintainership-of-an-r-package-on-cran)
that the standard procedure is (in the following order):

* a message from the old maintainers' email address stating the change
  in maintainership

* a change in the DESCRIPTION file with the address of the new
  maintainer information.

But I'm interested in the steps afterwards (see also
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64299121/what-do-i-have-to-do-if-im-taking-over-the-maintenance-of-a-gnu-r-package-publi):

* How can I 'link' this package to a new repository on the version
  control platform of my choice (e.g. https://gitlab.com/ or
  https://github.com)?

* How do the package update procedures on CRAN work (e.g. if I want to
  create a new version of the package)?

* How does the update procedure for the repository on r-forge (in my
  case: https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/nephro/) work?  Is this
  identical to the CRAN-package?

I looked into https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html as
well https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html but I couldn't
find an answer to my questions.

Best wishes,

Alex

--

    *Al T* <al.t using disroot.org>
    GPG: E1F0 908F 0365 2215 189D  2319 F0AF 5A02 49EB DEF5