[R-pkg-devel] A note from CRAN package check

Mon Sep 28 18:41:10 CEST 2020

On 28/09/2020 11:10 a.m., Yicheng Yang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I notice that there is a note from CRAN package check results for our
> package as follows:
>
> Version: 1.4.1
> Check: installed package size
> Result: NOTE
>       installed size is 5.3Mb
>       sub-directories of 1Mb or more:
>       libs 5.2Mb
>
> The link to our package is here:
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/FHDI/index.html
>
> So I know the problem is that our package exceeds the maximum size of 5MB.
> But I don't understand where we can trim our package to meet
> this requirement. We can not modify the source codes (C++ file and R files)
> because we may lose some functionalities of the package. Do we have to trim
> R documents? Any suggestions?

Reducing documents isn't going to be enough:  most of the problem is in
libs.

You should investigate whether the libs you need are provided by other
packages, or (if you wrote them yourself), whether it's really true that
you can't shrink them.

You could consider splitting your package into two packages, if there
are several libs.

You could try to explain to CRAN why you need to use all that space.
There are packages on CRAN that exceed the 5Mb limit.

Finally, you could choose to distribute your package in some other way
besides CRAN.