[R-pkg-devel] installed package size problem on Mac but not Linux nor Windows

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Tue Sep 22 09:45:24 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-22 02:22, Hugh Parsonage wrote:
> One of your vignettes is a 52-page pdf. It may be more suitable to
> provide a link to it rather than distributing it with the package, or
> distribute an excerpt.
>
> Some the images in the PDFs could be PDFs themselves, or be pngs with
> lower resolution.

	  Yes.  That's done by default by "R CMD build / check" on my Mac but
not on Linux nor Windows 10.  I'm not sure, but I think this problem is
fairly recent:  I think that "R CMD build / check" on Mac used to run
like on Linux and Win10 without creating these huge PDF and HTML files
from vignettes.  If it's only the figures, I would naively think there
should be an option to make sure that the figures were coded in svg so
it wouldn't take up as much space.  Or, failing that, if the problem is
the figures, I can code it so the figures don't plot unless people run
them manually.  Or maybe I shouldn't be trying to distribute vignettes
like this.

	  Thanks for the reply.
	  Spencer