[R-pkg-devel] Anyone Know How To Setup Wine for Windows Testing?

Steve Bronder @bronder @end|ng |rom @tevebronder@com
Fri Sep 18 23:56:57 CEST 2020

inline

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 3:35 AM Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/16/20 7:57 PM, Steve Bronder wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Neal Fultz <nfultz using gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't mind multi-gig docker containers, this can be helpful:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/scottyhardy/docker-wine
> >>
> >> It doesn't work with 64 bit versions of R as far as I could tell, but 32
> >> bit did install and start correctly in a few clicks when I tried last
> year.
> >>
> > Thanks! I'm hoping if I can get this all working locally I can put
> > everything into a docker container for other folks. At this point I have
> > up and running and it can install binary packages, but there are some
> > terrible terrible Cygwin/Rtools errors I can't figure out. In particular
> > this warning / message seems worrisome
> >
> > Cygwin WARNING:
> >    Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  This typically occurs if you're
> using
> >    an older Cygwin version on a newer Windows.  Please update to the
> latest
> >    available Cygwin version from https://cygwin.com/.  If the problem
> > persists,
> >    please see https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > If anyone has interest I can post a script for setting up the wine
> instance
> > as far as I can get atm.
>
> Did you have any update on this? If there is a problem with MinGW-w64
> version, you can (just for experimentation) try UCRT demo build, which
> uses a newer version of MinGW-w64 than RTools 4:

So this worked with a patched version of wine. that fixed the above error.
I'm waiting for that patch to go in and for the next wine release to try
this again.

> https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/07/30/windows/utf-8-build-of-r-and-cran-packages/index.html
> (reference at very bottom)

> > Do I want to? No :-). But we (Stan) want to use flto and are seeing
> errors
> > on windows I want to be able to debug locally.
>
> Please note Brian Ripley has added/improved support for cross-compiling
> on Linux for Windows, so that it can be used for diagnosing LTO warnings
> (see NEWS in R-devel and src/gnuwin32/README.compilation). The
> cross-compilers and needed cross-compiled libraries for R itself are
> part of at least some Linux distributions (he tested on Fedora).

Yes very exciting!

> > Sadly I don't have access to a windows machine. If I can't figure this
> out
> > then I'll probably just get a windows aws instance. But it would be nice
> > for people to have a wine setup they could test locally on.
>
> Microsoft is giving for free time-limited VMs primarily for testing
> Edge/MSIE, you can run them in e.g. in Virtualbox. As instructed in the
> VM, take snapshots often.

We have a Jenkins box that we use to spinup AWS windows sessions when we
need to thoroughly debug now but ty for the info!

> >> - If you have Windows and want to run R under some other OS, then set
> up a
> Linux

> > Yes I'm 80/20 on whether compilation with Rtools will totally work on
> wine.
> > But if I can get this all setup and put it into a docker file I think it
> > will be useful for other people as well so it's worth spending a bit of
> > time on.
>
> Being able to test R on Wine may be useful, if you figure it out, I
> would be interested to learn more. It is easier to obtain, may be easier
> to automate, and some low-level bugs may be easier to diagnose. Of
> course, for the price of sometimes seeing errors not present on real
> Windows.

Do you think there would be more false positives or true negatives? That
was my one big concern since it's just emulating the actual windows
software environment.