[R-pkg-devel] Use of `:::` in a package for code run in a parallel cluster

Cesko Voeten c@c@voeten @end|ng |rom hum@|e|denun|v@n|
Tue Sep 15 10:27:57 CEST 2020

Henrik,

I completely agree with everything you wrote, but note that the issue at hand is using `:::' in *the same* package, for example when a package needs to access its own internal functions from an outside context, where running on a cluster node set up by the package is one thing I can think of. So there is no API contract to violate, except the one the package makes with itself. Given this, I'm inclined to agree with David: the language provides an obvious way to do this, why write a semantic kludge that is obviously intended only to circumvent the CRAN warning to achieve something that is necessary for the package? Of course, just my €.02 in a thought-provoking discussion!

Cesko