[R-pkg-devel] Use of `:::` in a package for code run in a parallel cluster

Mon Sep 14 14:16:36 CEST 2020

On 13/09/2020 8:47 p.m., Wang, Zhu wrote:
> Apologize if I hijack this thread, but the use of ::: is something I was puzzled.
>
> I tried Duncan's solution in my R package mypkg, something like:
>
> pkg::callInternal("foo", args)
>
> R CMD check mypkg
>
> * checking dependencies in R code ... WARNING
> '::' or ':::' import not declared from: ‘pkg'
>
> I probably missed something here.

You don't need either pkg:: or pkg::: if you are calling the function
from within the package.  You may need one of those if the call is
coming from a user script.

If you use pkg:: from mypkg, you need to declare that mypkg Imports pkg.
  (This is a line in its DESCRIPTION file.)  I think that's what the
WARNING is telling you.

Duncan Murdoch