[R-pkg-devel] Fixing travis build fail due to fftwtools fatal error (fftw3.h: No such file or directory)

Max Turgeon M@x@Turgeon @end|ng |rom um@n|tob@@c@
Thu Sep 10 04:27:12 CEST 2020

Hi Marta,

One change I can see from your Git history that seems to match the first failed build on Travis is when you added "Imports: fftwtools" to your DESCRIPTION file. And it makes sense, because if we look at its DESCRIPTION file, we can see that it has fftw3 as a SystemRequirements. In other words, it needs to be installed on Travis before you can run the checks on your package.

As for solutions, I can see that Karim wrote a short description of how to install the library on Linux, and there's a link for Mac; all this is on the Github repo: https://github.com/krahim/fftwtools

I also noticed that there is an R package wrapping fftw on CRAN (https://cran.r-project.org/package=fftw) and I can see that it's a Suggested package for fftwtools. I haven't tried it, but presumably you could install the fftw R package, instead of the fftw3 library.

HTH,

Max Turgeon
Assistant Professor
Department of Statistics