[R-pkg-devel] CRAN check error in Debian R only

Sun Sep 6 22:37:15 CEST 2020

   It's surprising that this is only an error on Debian ...
   In general "strong dependencies not in mainstream repositories" is a
non-starter. Here is the relevant paragraph from the CRAN repository
policies:

 > Packages on which a CRAN package depends should be available from a
mainstream repository ...  [where "depends" means
"Depends/Imports/LinkingTo]

    In principle you could create a package that only "Suggests:" INLA
(and uses it conditionally) but is effectively non-functional without it
(i.e. in the absence of INLA, all examples or tests that depend on INLA
are disabled).  This does seem to defeat the intention of the policy,
though.  I don't know if the CRAN maintainers would reject it for
violating the spirit of the policy ...

    cheers
     Ben Bolker