[R-pkg-devel] Package inputenc Error: Unicode char ‐ (U+2010) during Windows build

Joshua Harrison jo@hu@@gr@nt@h@rr|@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 25 20:39:49 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I cannot get my package to correctly build on Windows because of an
encoding error that I just can't figure out. The package builds on my Mac
(10.14.6) and on a recent Debian release.

The source code for the package can be viewed here:
https://github.com/JHarrisonEcoEvo/CNVRG

The error code thrown by the "check_win_release" function of devtools is:

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
LaTeX errors found:
! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char ‐ (U+2010)
(inputenc)                not set up for use with LaTeX.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char ‐ (U+2010)
(inputenc)                not set up for use with LaTeX.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
* checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR
* checking for detritus in the temp directory ... OK
* DONE

FYI the note referenced is because the package is a new submission.

I figured the problem was with hyphens (the unicode 2010) and so I went
through the manual and vignette and deleted all the hyphens in the regular
text. There are still hyphen symbols in the assignment operator of the
examples ("<-"). Are these the problem?

I have spent way too much time trying to figure this out so any help would
be greatly appreciated. I see that many folks have similar issues with
vignettes and manuals but I haven't found a solution that works for me.

I am completely fine not having the package build on Windows. Users of that
system can download the manual or view it in a browser. However, I don't
see how I can get the package on CRAN without fixing this.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

--
J. G. Harrison
Postdoctoral researcher