[R-pkg-devel] Problem with V8 on CRAN Debian

Mon Aug 3 17:32:19 CEST 2020

On 3 August 2020 at 10:07, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| Tracing it:
|
|   edd using rob:~$ locate libnode.so.64
|   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnode.so.64
|   edd using rob:~$ dpkg -S $(locate libnode.so.64)
|   libnode64:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnode.so.64
|   edd using rob:~$
|
| Looks like libnode64 needs to be installed. On systems that lack complete
| dependency resolutions (cough, RSPM, cough) one needs libnode-dev; this
| libnode64 above is dependency of libnode-dev.
|
| Maybe you need to add 'libnode-dev' in SystemRequirements:  ?

Much simpler. On Debian the so number is now 72 and no longer 64, so CRAN
package V8 needs a simple rebuild to look for 72 and not the no-longer
existing 64. CC'ing Kurt Hornik.

I was, coincidentally, hitting the exact same issue on a Debian testing box
running reverse depends.

It's "the price we pay" by not having CRAN package tied to the system-level
dependencies which can at time also change.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org