[R-pkg-devel] c++17 on solaris cran

Jan Wijffels jw|j||e|@ @end|ng |rom bno@@c@be
Mon Aug 3 11:46:58 CEST 2020

Hello everyone,

I've got at package on CRAN which uses C++17. Package is at https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/image.binarization/index.html
The package fails on Solaris with the following message as my Makevars just contains CXX_STD = CXX17 indicating it requires C++17

* installing to library ‘/home/ripley/R/Lib32’
* installing *source* package ‘image.binarization’ ...
** package ‘image.binarization’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
Error: C++17 standard requested but CXX17 is not defined
* removing ‘/home/ripley/R/Lib32/image.binarization’

real        1.0
user        0.7
sys         0.1

Looks like Solaris does not support C++17 yet. Is this error something that needs to be fixed by me? Will the package be removed from CRAN because of this. Any other people with C++17 code who can provide some advise.

best,
Jan

Jan Wijffels
Statistician