[R-pkg-devel] Error in CHECK caused by dev.off()

Serguei Sokol @ergue|@@oko| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 22 15:51:08 CEST 2020

Le 22/07/2020 à 14:36, Helmut Schütz a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I have two variables, foo and bar. The first is TRUE if a png should be
> created and the second is TRUE if an already existing one should be
> overwritten.
> At the end of the plot I had
> if (foo | (foo & bar)) dev.off()
> This worked as expected in all versions of my package built in R up to
> v3.6.3. However, when I CHECK the package in v4.0.2 I get:
>  > grDevices::dev.off()
> Error in grDevices::dev.off() :
>    cannot shut down device 1 (the null device)
> Execution halted
>
> I tried:
> if (foo | (foo & bar)) {
>    dev <- dev.list()
>    if (!is.null(dev)) {
>      if (dev == 2) invisible(dev.off())
>    }
> }
> without success (same error).
>
> Even the more general
> if (foo | (foo & bar)) {
>    graphics.off()
> }
> did not work.
>
> The plot is called only in an example of one man-page -- though embedded
> in \donttest{}.
> Even if I set both foo and bar to FALSE (i.e., the respective part of
> the code should not be executed at all), I get the same error.
Hmm... I see 2 possibilities for still getting an error while the
concerned part of code is not supposed to be run:

  - either you are running not updated version of your package;
  - or the error comes from some other place of the code.

Sorry but without a minimal reproducible example I cannot help more.
Best,
Serguei.