[R-pkg-devel] Interpret feedback: not write testthat-tests in examples

Robert M. Flight r|||ght79 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 16 15:41:31 CEST 2020

Richel,

I think that feedback is important. Examples are examples first, and tests
second, as in if your examples no longer work, then maybe you need to check
your underlying code.

{testthat} tests belong in their own `tests` directory, and are used to
directly test your code and provide feedback about whether your code is
working.

The pattern I normally see if you want to directly check the output of an
example is a `stopifnot(x == y)`, but I've never observed having
`expect_equal` in example code.

There might not be a policy against it, but I think the general expectation
is that {testthat} code stays in `tests`, not in examples in the
documentation.

-Robert