[R-pkg-devel] Getting two independent packages with identical S3 generics to dispatch each other's methods

Sat Jul 11 14:34:09 CEST 2020

On 11/07/2020 7:52 a.m., Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:
> Dear Duncan et al.,
>
> Firstly, my apologies for the duplicated query. It seems that I had
> searched everywhere but the mailing list where I asked the question.
>
> Secondly, I was wondering if I could get some indication whether CRAN
> would accept a package with the following code and documentation (and
> only that):

I think it would depend on the documentation and the submission message.
  You'll need to convince them not to reject your package under the "A
package’s contribution has to be non-trivial" rule.  Explain why you
can't put the generic in one of the existing packages and import it from
there into the other one.  (I'd make ergm import lme4, since that only
adds 5 packages that wouldn't otherwise be present:   "minqa"
"nloptr"    "statmod"   "Rcpp"      "RcppEigen", and those are all
reasonably popular packages.)

Duncan Murdoch