[R-pkg-devel] How to refer to COPYRIGHTS and AUTHORS extra files in DESCRIPTION

git demont g|t@demont @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 8 10:15:50 CEST 2020

Thank you Ahmadou, Robert and Gábor,

In package 'presser'  Gábor used no dedicated AUTHORS file but use
'comment' and 'role' tag of Authors using R to mention their contribution and
refer to further comments in file (e.g.  inst/credits/redoc.md, src/md5.h)

Robert, also described a strategy using Authors using R

Ahmadou, used something similar to what I have done in the 'IFC' package I
want to submit on CRAN, with extra AUTHORS and COPYRIGHTS files found in
inst/ directory of its 'cgal4h' package. Then, he used "Author: file
inst/AUTHORS" and "Copyright: file inst/COPYRIGHTS" in DESCRIPTION file to
refer to these files.

In 'RcppMsgPack' package, I was using as an example in my 1st message,
extra AUTHORS and COPYRIGHTS files found in 'inst/' directory were also
used.
DESCRIPTION file contains:
- Author: Travers Ching and Dirk Eddelbuettel; the authors and contributors
of MsgPack
- Copyright: file inst/COPYRIGHTS

So, as far as I understand from your replies, there seems to be no general
rule on how to do it.
But it seems that when Author: or Copyright: is used in DESCRIPTION and
refer to a file then 'inst/' directory should be prepend to the file name
(e.g.  Copyright: file inst/COPYRIGHTS)

In next submission I will use in DESCRIPTION:
Authors using R and have a 'inst/AUTHORS' file
Copyright: file inst/COPYRIGHTS  and have a 'inst/COPYRIGHTS' file
and file 'AUTHORS' for a list of copyright holders and authors

Thanks a lot for your help,
Yohann