[R-pkg-devel] Proper CRAN way - How to handle dependency of java jar file?

Tue Jun 23 14:35:50 CEST 2020

Your assumption that .jar files are not allowed is wrong:  a number of
packages contain them:  rscala, J4R, Rbgs, bartMachine, OpenStreetMap,
...  There's a specific mention about how to include them in the CRAN
policy document:

"For Java .class and .jar files, the sources should be in a top-level
java directory in the source package (or that directory should explain
how they can be obtained)."

If you still decide not to include your .jar file (maybe it is too big,
for example), then I think your option 1 is unusable for those people
who can't write to the library location because of permission problems.
(Admin privileges are often necessary to install packages in the main
library.)  Generally I think everyone can install packages somewhere,
but users do really get confused when they have multiple library
locations, possibly each containing a different version of a package.

Duncan Murdoch