[R-pkg-devel] SAR package: check errors with dataset documentation

Hong Ooi hongoo| @end|ng |rom m|cro@o|t@com
Tue Jun 16 19:13:48 CEST 2020

Hello all,

I'm refreshing the docs for my SAR package ( https://github.com/hongooi73/SAR ), and I'm running into a weird problem.

The package contains 2 example data frames, 'ms_catalog' and 'ms_usage'. Here is the relevant documentation for them, in the file R/ms_data.R:

#' Sample usage dataset
#'
#' Dataset of anonymised transaction records from the Microsoft online store.
#' @format A data frame with the following variables:
#' \describe{
#'  \item{user}{The user ID.}
#'  \item{item}{The item ID, corresponding to the items in the [ms_catalog] dataset.}
#'  \item{time}{The date and time of the transaction, in POSIXct format.}
#' }
#' @source Microsoft.
#' @seealso
#' [ms_catalog]
"ms_usage"

#' Sample catalog dataset
#'
#' Dataset of item descriptions from the Microsoft online store.
#' @format A data frame with the following variables:
#' \describe{
#'  \item{item}{The item ID, corresponding to the items in the [ms_usage] dataset.}
#'  \item{name}{A short description of the item.}
#'  \item{category}{The item category.}
#' }
#' @source Microsoft.
#' @seealso
#' [ms_usage]
"ms_catalog"

When I run devtools::check() and rhub::check_for_cran(), I get a warning:

* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... WARNING
  'ms_catalog'
Variables with usage in documentation object 'ms_usage' but not in code:
Variables with usage in documentation object 'ms_catalog' but not in code:
  'ms_usage'

Can anyone see where the problem lies? As far as I can tell, I'm following the correct procedure for documenting datasets with Roxygen. I'm using R 4.0.0 on Win 10.

(I also get a note about checking artifacts left over in the check directory, but I'm not worried about that for the moment -- seems to be a wart with devtools::check().)

Hong