[R-pkg-devel] [External] Guidelines on use of snow-style clusters in R packages?

Sat Jun 13 12:46:05 CEST 2020

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 08:54:56 -0500 (CDT)
luke-tierney using uiowa.edu wrote:

> If you use [a cluster] passed to you it would be best to leave
> it in the state you found it at least as far as the search path and
> global environment are concerned.

Thanks for this advice! I guess that clusterExport() is also out of
question in package code, then.

> So use foo::bar instead of library().

I have found out that R Internals documents serialize() to use a very
efficient representation for package environments (a pseudo-SEXPTYPE
followed by the name). Does it mean that it is a good idea to pass
unexported private worker functions to parLapply(cl, X, fun), since the
package environment is not sent over network?

--
Best regards,
Ivan