[R-pkg-devel] [R] a question of etiquette

Wed Jun 3 02:25:25 CEST 2020

"Viral" is has connotations that reflect the biases of the person using the term. A less loaded perspective is that some people don't want you to take their contributions out of circulation by using it as the foundation of your proprietary work. If you want to close it up, build from scratch or find some other code that isn't GPL.

Describing it as "viral" makes it sound as if they were trying to steal something you did instead of protecting their code from being stolen. Please refrain from being inflammatory.