[R-pkg-devel] [R] a question of etiquette

R. Mark Sharp rm@h@rp @end|ng |rom me@com
Wed Jun 3 01:32:16 CEST 2020

Spencer,

I apologize for my obvious (in hindsight) error in bringing up the topic. I will bring up one example, because of your request. Google has listed GPL-1, 2, and 3 as one of several licenses that are restricted and cannot be used by a Google product delivered to outside customers. This include downloadable client software and software such as insdie the Google Search Appliance. This includes having scripts that load packages dynamically as with “library()” and “require()”. Please see https://opensource.google/docs/thirdparty/licenses/#restricted for their wording.

I am not defending their position and disagree with it. However, it is their position based on what I think is a conservative or overly cautious legal interpretation. I am not a lawyer, however, so my opinions are of no import.

Mark
R. Mark Sharp, Ph.D.
Data Scientist and Biomedical Statistical Consultant
7526 Meadow Green St.
San Antonio, TX 78251
mobile: 210-218-2868
rmsharp using me.com