[R-pkg-devel] [R] a question of etiquette

Tue Jun 2 16:54:00 CEST 2020

    > Thanks for this information, Mark.  Given the phrase
    > "small but important function my package uses", it seems
    > that you included in your package some code, reproducing
    > it verbatim.  Do I understand correctly?  In my case, the
    > code which I am actually using is the R porting of code
    > originally written in another language, namely Matlab.

    > Best wishes,
    > Adelchi

Indeed. I would definitely not list the original Matlab authors as
'aut', but just as 'ctb' (= contributor).

e.g., for the 'robustbase' package, I have, among authors using R

      , person("Peter", "Rousseeuw", role="ctb", comment = "Qn and Sn")

Personally, I'd always use a  comment = "..."  tag mentioning
*what* the contributor (or "co-author") has contributed to.

Best,
Martin