[R-pkg-devel] how to specify to let a package only build 64bit on CRAN

Mon May 11 15:51:03 CEST 2020

On 11 May 2020 at 13:13, Joris Meys wrote:
| To add to the suggestion of Gabor and Duncan, it might be a good idea to add a packageStartupMessage that warns the user about the problem when running on a 32bit system. You can easily extract that info from R.Version()$arch . That might help negotiating with CRAN.

Related: As CRAN does not give you a hook, approximate one yourself in the
package.  I.e. demote reticulate to a mere Suggests:, then in .onAttach()
check a) if it is present and howl if not as well as b) if on 32 bit and say
you're sorry if so. Obviously, a real switch would be better but ...

Dirk