[R-pkg-devel] Error in \donttest{} not observed with --run-donttest option

Tiago Olivoto t|@goo||voto @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 23 04:33:26 CEST 2020

Dear all,

I've submitted the v1.5.0 of my R package metan
<https://github.com/TiagoOlivoto/metan> a few days ago to fix some errors
related to a recent upgrade of package 'tibble' to version 3.0.0, with
breaking changes described at
<https://tibble.tidyverse.org/news/index.html>.  When checking locally metan
v1.5.0' with "R CMD check --as-cran --run-donttest metan_1.5.0.tar.gz" no
errors were observed (log file attached).

On Monday 13, April, I was notified that "Version 1.5.0 still fails in its
\donttest examples, which should work". Looking to the CRAN Package Check
Results page <https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/donttest/metan.out> I
observed an error that occurred because I used a data set with
non-significant genotype effect to compute an index that requires a
significant genotype effect in all trait. Unfortunately, metan was removed
from CRAN because check problems were not corrected in time.

Any idea about why I've not observed any error even using  --run-donttest
option locally?  That function's example had not been changed since the
first release, so, I'm also asking myself why this error was observed only
now, after four successful releases on CRAN.

I'd appreciate any comment.

Best regards,

Tiago