[R-pkg-devel] [FWD] [CRAN-pretest-archived] CRAN submission JuliaConnectoR 0.5.0

Joris Meys Jor|@@Mey@ @end|ng |rom UGent@be
Thu Apr 9 14:59:23 CEST 2020

Hi Stefan,

first of all, thank you for taking the time and effort to link Julia and R. That said, I would strongly encourage you to go for a reticulate-like approach. There's a good reason for that. Once you start mixing languages, you really want to have some indication what code is ran in what language. Especially since I can imagine at one point there'll be a Julia function masking an R function of the same name, and that is going to cause a world of hurt and confusion.

If you don't like environments, you can try to use namespace functionality. There's the "namespace" package that allows you to create one, and some internal namespace functions are visible (eg namespaceExport() from base). That's going to be the closest to mimicking R packages, but it's beyond my knowledge to know how feasible this approach actually is. I hope someone else chimes in, especially if this is dangerous for other reasons I overlooked.

Kind regards
Joris

Joris Meys
Statistician
T +32 9 264 61 79

Department Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling

Campus Coupure, Block A 1st floor 110.050, Coupure links 653, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium
T administration office +32 9 264 59 32

www.ugent.be

e-maildisclaimer