[R-pkg-devel] Error creating union class: object ‘.__C__compMatrix’ not found

Wed Apr 8 16:34:45 CEST 2020

    > Hi,
    > when R CMD check is run under R-devel (2020-03-29 r78108) I get the following error at installation:

    > Error in get(cname, envir = cwhere, inherits = FALSE) :
    > object ‘.__C__compMatrix’ not found
    > Error in setClassUnion("mMatrix", c("Matrix", "matrix")) :
    > unable to create union class:  could not set members "Matrix"

    > This does not happen on R 3.6.3.

    > I tried with Matrix listed in Depends but I still get the same error.

    > Is this linked to some changes in union classes or the Matrix package?

    > Thank you.

    > Bests,
    > Renaud

Hi Renaud,
One reason you got no response here, is because we don't even
know about which package you are talking.

So there's nothing, anybody can reproduce from your posting.

There have been changes in R's dealing with class unions etc,
notably even *relating* to an earlier bug report on class unions
exactly for such a case which was *triggered* when people built
on such Matrix classes.

But we would really want to be able to reproduce what you are seeing..

Best regards,
Martin Maechler

ETH Zurich, R Core Team *and* maintainer("Matrix")