[R-pkg-devel] [FWD] [CRAN-pretest-archived] CRAN submission JuliaConnectoR 0.5.0

Mon Apr 6 17:40:12 CEST 2020

On 06/04/2020 11:25 a.m., Stefan Lenz IMBI wrote:
> Yes, as I wrote earlier, I would like to imitate the behaviour of loading an R package
>
>   juliaUsing("SomeJuliaPackage") # exports myJuliaFunction
>   myJuliaFunction()
>
> like R:
>
>   library("MyRPackage") # exports myRFunction
>   myRFunction()
>
> I could return an environment, such that the call becomes
>
>   attach(juliaUsing("SomeJuliaPackage"))
>   myJuliaFunction()

I wouldn't use it that way.  I'd write it as

     sjp <- juliaUsing("SomeJuliaPackage")
     sjp$myJuliaFunction()

This is similar to the advice to use pkg::foo() rather than library(pkg)
followed by plain foo() in the code.

Duncan Murdoch