[R-pkg-devel] GitHub problems

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Fri Apr 3 22:03:12 CEST 2020

Hello, All:

       I've been unable to get SSH to work with
"https://github.com/JamesRamsay5/fda", documented in my email to this
group almost 3 weeks ago.  I've been able to do "git clone
https://sbgraves237:<GitHub-password>@github.com/JamesRamsay5/fda", then
change a file, do "git commit" and "git push".

       However, this has my GitHub password in a plain text ".git" file
on my hard drive.  I think the hard drive on my computer is encrypted,
so maybe that's not a problem.

       Am I not allowed to use SSH with a GitHub repository that's not
my own?

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

p.s.  Since my previous email, Ramsay added "README.md" to that
repository.  I can do "git clone" and get it, then edit it, then "git
commit".  However, "git push" keeps giving me errors:

git push
remote: Invalid username or password.
fatal: Authentication failed for
'https://<token>@github.com/JamesRamsay5/fda/'

       A few hours ago, the owner, JamesRamsay5, went to "Settings" >
"Manage access", then invited me as a collaborator.  I got an email
asking me to "view invitation", which I did.  I got another email
saying, "Hey there, we’re just writing to let you know that you’ve been
automatically subscribed to a repository on GitHub." Sadly, I still
couldn't access it, so I I deleted my token and created a new one.  I
also deleted my previous local clone of "fda" and recreated it using
"git clone https://<token>@github.com/JamesRamsay5/fda".  Then I did a
test edit to the one file in that repository, README.md.  I think did
'git commit README.md -m "tst edit"'.  Then "git push" keeps giving me
the error just mentioned.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Matrix products: default
BLAS:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
LAPACK:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
[6] methods   base

[1] compiler_3.6.3 tools_3.6.3