[R-pkg-devel] slightly polemic question re R CMD check

David Hugh-Jones d@v|dhughjone@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Mar 8 17:41:51 CET 2020

Hi Jeff,

I wouldn't say R encourages that in general. Non-generic functions will
throw an error if you use a non-existent argument. And some generic
functions check for it:

seq(1, 3, blah = 1)
[1] 1 2 3
Warning message:
In seq.default(1, 3, blah = 1) :
 extra argument ‘blah’ will be disregarded

In fact there is even a `chkDots()` function to help with this - which,
despite having used R or 17 years, I first discovered today :-). So, it
seems the R base developers thought lenient argument checking could be a
bad thing, presumably because it lets errors go undetected.

Maybe chkDots is a reasonable workaround. But I wonder what the rationale
is for R CMD check enforcing that methods *must* be as lenient as the
generic. It seems to lead to a lot of documentation of the form:

@param ... Not used.

Cheers,
David