[R-pkg-devel] CRAN checks failing for ATLAS

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Sat Feb 22 14:41:44 CET 2020

El sáb., 22 feb. 2020 14:26, Stefan Möding <s.moeding using gmail.com> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I was notified by the CRAN maintainers that checks for my package are
> failing:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_usl.html
>
> I don’t understand what’s going on here. All regular checks show the OK
> status. Only the linked ATLAS check fails. What is so special about this
> check?

It's the same check, but using ATLAS as the algebra back-end instead of
BLAS.

> The check seems to be running on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit) and use
> the R development version (2020-02-20 r77833). The regular check
> "r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc" runs on the same platform and a later
> version but doesn’t fail.
>
> Any hints what is causing the failures?

It seems that you are checking exact output values in your tests, and
changing the library changes the computed coefficients. This is generally a
bad idea, precisely as this issue demonstrates. Checking ranges or numbers
with some tolerance is much better, but then you cannot rely on .Rout.

Iñaki