[R-pkg-devel] CRAN Package Check Results - No protocol specified (OS X only)

Jeroen Ooms jeroen @end|ng |rom berke|ey@edu
Thu Feb 20 20:34:14 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 1:29 AM Dominic Comtois
<dominic.comtois using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On my package's check results (
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_summarytools.html), I
> see a bunch of warnings with "No protocol specified" messages. This happens
> only with OS X, and I can't reproduce them when actually building on a Mac,
> nor with rhub::check_on_macos(). I can't really make sense out of them, and
> they are all over the place. Can they simply be ignored?

This happens when your package calls capabilities(), which as a side
effect initiates xquartz. It seems the MacOS server has certain
permission restrictions that cause X11 to print this warning.

I think you can safely ignore it.