[R-pkg-devel] translation .mo files

Paul Gilbert pg||bert902 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Feb 8 09:14:54 CET 2020

I have been sent .po and .mo files with message translations for one of
my packages. The .po file I know goes in the source package po/
directory but I have not had .mo files previously. The translator thinks
the .mo file goes in inst/po. The .mo file seems to be generated from
the .po file, but I am not sure if that happens in the install of the
source package, or in some pre-process. I thought I could determine this
by looking at an installed package, but I don't see .po or .mo files in
installed packages. So far I have had no luck finding documentation on
these details. So I have three questions.

-Should the .mo file be included in the package, and if so, where?

-When a package is installed, where does the translation information go
in the directory structure of the library?

-Is this documented somewhere? (Please not a vague reference to 'Writing
R Extensions', I've looked there and many other places. I need a section
or page reference.)

Thanks,
Paul Gilbert