[R-pkg-devel] function name conflict problem

sierr@stew m@iii@g oii mi@dspri@g@com sierr@stew m@iii@g oii mi@dspri@g@com
Thu Feb 6 04:46:12 CET 2020

Thanks to all who responded.

Correct that package ‘karon’ is the problem.  The current package has a more meaningful name.  ‘karon’ was the earlier name; functions have been renamed.

I deleted all the old function files, though they had been Committed to GitHub.  A colleague working with me wrote:

I found that one of the objects in /data were loading the old 'karon' library when that data object was loaded. The old 'karon' library was then loading all of the mgcv and ellipse packages, rather than just the specific functions we are using.

I have no idea why one of the data objects (used in the examples) would load the library.

From: Hugh Parsonage <hugh.parsonage using gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 12:31 AM
To: sierrastew using mindspring.com
Cc: r-package-devel using r-project. org <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] function name conflict problem

Package karon is the problem. Is that package in your depends or imports? Does that package use Depends?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 8:24 am, <sierrastew using mindspring.com <mailto:sierrastew using mindspring.com> > wrote:

In trying to develop a package to be submitted to CRAN, when I do Install
and Reload or devtools::check(), I get the warning:

Warning: replacing previous import 'ellipse::pairs' by 'graphics::pairs'
when loading 'karon'

Warning: replacing previous import 'MVN::mvn' by 'mgcv::mvn' when loading
'karon'

I need one function each from the packages ellipse and mgcv (I do not need
pairs from ellipse and mvn from mgcv).  To restrict to the function that I
need, I have used the commands

@importFrom  ellipse  ellipse

@importFrom  mgcv  in.out

NAMESPACE includes the lines

importFrom(ellipse,ellipse)

importFrom(mgcv,in.out)

However, DESCRIPTION does not restrict the functions imported from ellipse
and mgcv; it has

Imports: MVN, MASS, scatterplot3d, rgl, mgcv, randomForest, rpart, partykit,
Formula, ellipse,..

Do these warnings need to be solved before submitting to CRAN?

Is it necessary to edit DESCRIPTION  If so, what should be done?

Is there some other potential solution?

Thanks!