[R-pkg-devel] Winbuilder 'experimental' toolchain 4-5x slower than all other architectures

Brian G. Peterson br|@n @end|ng |rom br@verock@com
Wed Feb 5 16:32:52 CET 2020

For every other architecture, Travis-CI and R-Hub take approximately
10-12 minutes to build and check PerformanceAnalytics.  On the Windows
Rtools4 experimental toolchain, the build/check on Winbuilder and R-Hub
take over an hour, sometimes as much as an hour and a half.

Non-trivial example timings are similarly 4-5x slower on the Windows
experimental toolchain.

Brian

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 14:59 +0000, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> Can you please show some numbers?
>
> Thanks,
> Gabor
>
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:40 PM Brian G. Peterson <brian using braverock.com
> > wrote:
> > We've noticed over the past week that Winbuilder/R-Hub's
> > 'experimental'
> > Rtools4 toolchain images for Windows are approximately 4-5x slower
> > than
> > all other containers to build and check several packages we
> > maintain.
> >
> > This affects everything, including example timings, where this
> > architecture is the only architecture that shows any example run-
> > times
> > over 5 seconds. (including Windows under the older toolchain).
> >
> > Does CRAN expect us to optimize our code for the clearly non-
> > performant
> > 'experimental' Windows toolchain?
> >
> > I'd like to send a new version of our package PerformanceAnalytics
> > CRAN, but the Windows experimental toolchain is preventing a 100%
> > clean
> > set of checks.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Brian