[R-pkg-devel] Conditionally use packages from Bioconductor

Daniel Lüdecke d@|uedecke @end|ng |rom uke@de
Wed Feb 5 16:05:26 CET 2020

Dear all,

for a package that is already published on CRAN, we plan to include a
function that relies on the M3C-package, which is on Bioconductor only.
Since this function in M3C is not essential for most other functions of our
package, we thought about adding M3C to the "Suggests" field in the
DESCRIPTION file, and from the "Writing R Extensions" page we found that we
could also add the URL to the "Additional_repositories" field of the
DESCRIPTION file (Additional_repositories:
https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/M3C.html).

Would this be the correct way to conditionally use a package from
Bioconductor in own packages?

Best
Daniel

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Marya Verdel