[R-pkg-devel] Winbuilder 'experimental' toolchain 4-5x slower than all other architectures

Brian G. Peterson br|@n @end|ng |rom br@verock@com
Wed Feb 5 15:39:59 CET 2020

We've noticed over the past week that Winbuilder/R-Hub's 'experimental'
Rtools4 toolchain images for Windows are approximately 4-5x slower than
all other containers to build and check several packages we maintain.

This affects everything, including example timings, where this
architecture is the only architecture that shows any example run-times
over 5 seconds. (including Windows under the older toolchain).

Does CRAN expect us to optimize our code for the clearly non-performant
'experimental' Windows toolchain?

I'd like to send a new version of our package PerformanceAnalytics to
CRAN, but the Windows experimental toolchain is preventing a 100% clean
set of checks.

Regards,

Brian

--