[R-pkg-devel] finding "logo.jpg" [was: "try" malfunctions on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS, R-release, GCC]

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Mon Feb 3 21:39:45 CET 2020

El lun., 3 feb. 2020 20:30, Spencer Graves <
spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> escribió:

>        Thanks to Iñaki Ucar for identifying a second error that
> explained why I still got an error after wrapping one in "try".
>

>        That still leaves a question of how to find a file like
> "logo.jpg" in a platform independant way.
>

>        The following had worked for several years and now broke on rhub
> "Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS, R-release, GCC" but not on several other
> computers I tried:
>

>              logo.jpg <- paste(R.home(), "doc", "html", "logo.jpg", sep
> = .Platform$file.sep)
>

>        On that Ubuntu platform, "readJPEG(logo.jpg)" stopped with "Error
> in readJPEG(logo.jpg) : unable to open /usr/lib/R/doc/html/logo.jpg".

All these years you just got lucky that on CRAN the PNG is in that
location. That's not the location in Fedora, and I'd say that's not the
location in other distributions, because documentation is usually under
/usr/share.

But ultimately the test is faulty, because if the "try" call returns an
error, then later you are trying to use an undefined object.

Iñaki