[R-pkg-devel] Note about "marked UTF-8 strings" when checking with R-devel

Dominic Comtois dom|n|c@comto|@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jan 27 17:22:01 CET 2020

Checking my summarytools package before submitting an updated version to
CRAN, I get this note when using rhub::check_with_rdevel() :

 checking contents of ‘data’ directory (1.4s)
 checking data for non-ASCII characters (1.6s)
     *Note: found 78 marked UTF-8 strings*

The package has been on CRAN for years now, and it's the first time I get
this note. Checking with R 3.6.2, I still get:

  checking data for non-ASCII characters ... OK

The package contains 4 sample data frames, two of which are in French with
accentuated characters on a couple of variables. I could easily "asciify"
them (removing accents), but I wonder if there is a way around it, and if
the note is an absolute no-go for CRAN. Thoughts?

The source code for my package can be found on GitHub:
github.com/dcomtois/summarytools.

And here is one of the culprits:

> unique(tabagisme$maladie)
 [1] NA                     "Neurologique"         "Ouïe"
"Musculo-squelettique"
 [5] "Vue"                  "Cardiaque"            "Cancer"
"Hypertension"
 [9] "Diabète"              "Autre"                "Pulmonaire"
"Hypotension"
[13] "Cholestérol"          "Système digestif"

Thanks in advance