[R-pkg-devel] Checkpoint package failing CRAN checks

Hong Ooi hongoo| @end|ng |rom m|cro@o|t@com
Thu Jan 9 07:16:54 CET 2020

Hi all,

I'm the new (as of 6 months ago) maintainer of checkpoint. If you're not familiar with it, checkpoint is a package to help with reproducible analysis: you give it a particular snapshot date from the MRAN site, and it installs the packages that your project depends on from that snapshot.

Just before the Christmas break, I got a message that it was failing CRAN checks. Specifically, building a vignette was causing a warning that a file was not found. I've made some changes, but the error persists.

This is the snippet of the log with the error. The full log can be found at https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/checkpoint_0.4.8_20200108_065428/Debian/00check.log

Error(s) in re-building vignettes:
--- re-building 'checkpoint.Rmd' using rmarkdown
* installing *source* package 'darts' ...
** using staged installation
** libs
gcc-9  -I"/home/hornik/tmp/R-d-gcc-9/include" -DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/include -DUSE_TYPE_CHECKING_STRICT -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -fpic  -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -mtune=native  -c darts.c -o darts.o
gcc-9 -shared -L/home/hornik/tmp/R-d-gcc-9/lib -Wl,-O1 -o darts.so darts.o -L/home/hornik/tmp/R-d-gcc-9/lib -lR
installing to /tmp/RtmpNSFOaW/working_dir/RtmpshQt0J/.checkpoint/2017-04-01/lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/00LOCK-darts/00new/darts/libs
** R
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** checking absolute paths in shared objects and dynamic libraries
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (darts)
Warning in file(con, "w") :
  cannot open file '/tmp/RtmpNSFOaW/working_dir/RtmpshQt0J/rmarkdown-str2e0253dd0590.html': No such file or directory
Error: processing vignette 'checkpoint.Rmd' failed with diagnostics:
cannot open the connection
--- failed re-building 'checkpoint.Rmd'

Would anyone be able to provide a clue as to what's going on? It seems to be working on Windows, but not on Debian.

The full package source is at https://github.com/RevolutionAnalytics/checkpoint. Thanks!