[R-pkg-devel] suggestion: conda for third-party software

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 7 20:47:28 CET 2020

The newest version of reticulate does something very similar: R
packages can declare their Python package dependencies in the
Config/reticulate field of a DESCRIPTION file, and reticulate can read
and use those dependencies to provision a Python environment for the
user when requested (currently using Miniconda).

Similarly, rather than having this part of SystemRequirements, package
authors could declare these in a separate field called e.g.
Config/conda. Then, you could have an R package that knows how to read
and parse these configuration requests, and install those packages for
the user.

That said, maintaining a Conda installation and its environments is
non-trivial, and things do not always work as expected when mixing
Conda applications with non-Conda applications. Most notably, Conda
installations bundle their own copies of libraries; e.g. the C++
standard library, Qt, OpenSSL, and so on. If an application tries to
mix and match both system-provided and Conda-provided libraries in the
same process, bad things often happen. This was still the
lowest-friction way forward for us with reticulate, but it's worth
being aware that Conda is not a total panacea.

Best,
Kevin