[R-pkg-devel] Possibly invalid URL note about canonical form of link to cran package

Joris Meys Jor|@@Mey@ @end|ng |rom UGent@be
Tue Dec 17 10:30:24 CET 2019

Dear all,

I link in a vignette to the CRAN page of another package using the following form:

https://cloud.r-project.org/package=kernlab<https://cloud.r-project.org/package=pkgname>

I believed this was the correct way to do it, but I get following note in R CMD check --as-cran :

Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs:
    From: inst/doc/xnet_ShortIntroduction.html
    Message: OK
    CRAN URL not in canonical form
  Canonical CRAN.R-project.org URLs use https.

So now I'm a bit confused. Aren't we supposed to use the canonical form as mentioned on every CRAN package page, or should I use cran.r-project.org specifically? I wanted to use cloud.r-project.org to limit traffic to the CRAN repo directly.

Advice is appreciated, I'd like to submit this package before the holidays.

Cheers

Joris

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)