[R-pkg-devel] reduce size of shared objects

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Wed Dec 11 17:14:28 CET 2019

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 15:01, Guido Kraemer <gkraemer using bgc-jena.mpg.de> wrote:

> I have tried the suggestion from the blog post and added
>
> |strippedLib: $(SHLIB) if test -e "/usr/bin/strip" & test -e
> "/bin/uname" & [[ `uname` == "Linux" ]] ; \ then /usr/bin/strip
> --strip-debug $(SHLIB); fi .phony: strippedLib|
> |to `src/Makevars` and it works great, it gets the size of the shared
> object down to 1.3 Mb.|
> |When submitting this to CRAN some day, should I apply this trick or
> ignore it and let the user|
> |decide with the new ``R CMD install --strip`` option in R 3.6? Cheers,
> Guido |

Not sure if you received Dirk's reponse:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2019q4/004763.html

>From his experience, it seems that CRAN does not allow stripping, so
follow his intructions to strip objects locally using your
~/.R/Makevars instead of the package's src/Makevars.

Iñaki