[R-pkg-devel] install.R running out of memory

Sat Nov 2 19:34:55 CET 2019

Hi Victor,

On 2 November 2019 at 13:58, Viktor Gal wrote:
| so the project is open source, you can reproduce the error yourself (but note it’ll take a long time to actually compile it). steps for reproducing:
| git clone https://github.com/shogun-toolbox/shogun.git
| cd shogun
| git checkout feature/shared_ptr
| mkdir build
| cd build
| cmake -DINTERFACE_R=ON ..
| make
| make install
|
| (it requires tons of dependencies… if you have docker you can docker pull shogun/shogun-dev and run things inside the container)
|
| the make install part runs the R CMD INSTALL so that’ll cause the problem.
|
| but i’ve just uploaded the generated R code that causes the problem here, note the script is 7Mb i.e. 175k LoC, so you better wget/curl it:
| http://maeth.com/shogun.R

Ok, I am of course aware of Shogun, and with a large codebases that may even
have even has auto-generated interfaces (e.g. Swig, not sure if Shogun has,
it's been a while since I looked at) then something like this can happen.

No easier answer from me, and I won't have time to dig into this. Sorry.

Dirk