[R-pkg-devel] install.R running out of memory

Sat Nov 2 18:52:36 CET 2019

Hi Viktor,

On 2 November 2019 at 13:09, Viktor Gal wrote:
| I’m developing an ML library that has R bindings… when installing the library with R CMD INSTALL the R process is running out of memory (50G+ ram) when doing:
| ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
|
| any ideas how i could debug this part of code, to figure out what is actually happening and why is there a memory leak?

Easiest for us to help if we can see code -- so if you have a public repo
somewhere please the link.

I suspect you have some sort of recursion or circular dependency
somewhere. It would be very hard for R to run out of 50gb. But we cannot say
more.

So maybe triage. In a situation like this when a (supposedly complete)
package draft of mine fails "top-down" I often re-validate the toolchain
"bottom-up" with a minimal package. If that works, keep adding pieces step by
step from the 'not-working large package' to the 'small working' package
while continuously ensuring that it still builds.

Hope this helps, Dirk