[R-pkg-devel] License of pre-built vignettes

Fri Oct 25 12:38:43 CEST 2019

On 24/10/2019 7:16 p.m., Helmut Schütz wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> Duncan Murdoch wrote on 2019-10-24 21:51:
>> So it seems clear what to do:  remove the BuildVignettes: false
>> statement, and explain why CRAN should avoid building them in your
>> submission message.  This will likely make it take longer for the
>> package to be handled; if that's a problem for you, you probably need
>> to simplify the examples (or remove them).
>
> THX, I got the idea. However, if we remove BuildVignettes: false, in the
> tarball the HTML5 vignettes in inst/doc are overwritten with pandoc's
> XHTML1.0 (with a warning, of course). That's the opposite of what we want.

Base R doesn't use pandoc, so you are presumably using rmarkdown or some
other contributed package.  You should either get that package to modify
the way it produces the vignette, or write your own vignette building
code (which would encapsulate whatever process you are currently using).
  I think the former would be easier:  rmarkdown is very flexible.  You
may just need to modify the pandoc template that it is using and you'll
get the format you want.

Duncan Murdoch