[R-pkg-devel] License of pre-built vignettes

Helmut Schütz he|mut@@chuetz @end|ng |rom beb@c@@t
Fri Oct 25 01:16:59 CEST 2019

Dear Duncan,

Duncan Murdoch wrote on 2019-10-24 21:51:
> So it seems clear what to do:  remove the BuildVignettes: false
> statement, and explain why CRAN should avoid building them in your
> submission message.  This will likely make it take longer for the
> package to be handled; if that's a problem for you, you probably need
> to simplify the examples (or remove them).

THX, I got the idea. However, if we remove BuildVignettes: false, in the
tarball the HTML5 vignettes in inst/doc are overwritten with pandoc's
XHTML1.0 (with a warning, of course). That's the opposite of what we want.

The vignettes contain code for simulations which causes the long
runtime. In examples of the man-pages we have -- much simpler ones -- in
\donttest{}. I think that one of the purposes of vignettes is to give
the user a more exhaustive description what can be done with certain
functions. The only way out would to have instead of the R-code plain
text. Runtimes close to zero but all -- rather useful -- formats lost.

We will try to keep them and start a discussion with the team.

Helmut

--
Ing. Helmut Schütz
BEBAC – Consultancy Services for