[R-pkg-devel] Require <package>-package.Rd?

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 30 22:16:50 CEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:07 AM Georgi Boshnakov
<georgi.boshnakov using manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> It is worth noting that
>
> help(package="<package>")
>
> shows  file <package>-package.Rd, while
>
> help(<package>)
>
> shows topic "package".
>
> Topic <package>-package.Rd is also printed at the top of the pdf manual, while package.Rd follows the alphabetical ordering of the remaining topics. It is unfortunate that Hadley Wickham's tools (at least 'pkgdown') recommend and use <package>.Rd, instead of <package>-package.Rd as overall package description.

I'm not sure what lead you to that believe, but we definitely support
(and have supported for years) package?<package>.  See, e.g.
https://usethis.r-lib.org/reference/use_package_doc.html

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz