[R-pkg-devel] Require <package>-package.Rd?

Tue Sep 24 15:33:57 CEST 2019

Hi Georgi,

help(package="utils") shows the index, not utils-package.Rd.

help(utils) shows utils-package.Rd.

Best,
Wolfgang

-----Original Message-----
From: Georgi Boshnakov [mailto:georgi.boshnakov using manchester.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 September, 2019 15:02
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP); r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: RE: Require <package>-package.Rd?

It is worth noting that

help(package="<package>")

shows  file <package>-package.Rd, while

help(<package>)

shows topic "package".

Topic <package>-package.Rd is also printed at the top of the pdf manual, while package.Rd follows the alphabetical ordering of the remaining topics. It is unfortunate that Hadley Wickham's tools (at least 'pkgdown') recommend and use <package>.Rd, instead of <package>-package.Rd as overall package description.

Georgi Boshnakov